In the July 2010 issue of Motor Trend Angus Mackenzie reports that China has taken America over as the Number 1 country in the world for automotive sales. Every car company is now looking at China and making the kind of cars that China wants. For the most part, this is a good thing for the American consumer. Consider:
1. Chinese consumers are more demanding than Americans for immaculate car interiors. Thus the new Buicks, GM says, have better interiors because they were made with the Chinese market in mind.
2. China taxes engines based on capacity so engines will be smaller and turbo charged and presumably more efficient.
3. Chinese fuel economy standards, stricter than in the US, should increase fuel economy by 20 percent.
4. V-8 engines could become a tiny niche product and go the way of the dinosaurs.
5. There will be a significant increase in hybrid, electric, and fuel-cell vehicles, which can be supported by China's massive infrastructure.
6. We'll be driving Chinese trucks and cars since their companies will go global like Nissan and Toyota, to give two examples.