Today in my Critical Thinking class, we're going over classification of terms as this relates to pride. I came up with 8 types. I doubt the list is complete, but here it is:
1. Charity pride: You're too proud to accept help or charity even when you're having tough times.
2. Physical pride: We pass the beautiful woman who wears an arrogant, supercilious expression that says, "You're lucky I'm not charging you money to simply look at me, loser."
3. Stubborn pride: You won't back down on a position even though you know you're wrong because you're too proud.
4. Vindication pride: George Costanza hates his girlfriend but he refuses to break up with her because he wants everyone who accuses him of being too immature to be in a relationship to believe otherwise. Of course, his stupidity proves their point.
5. Perfectionist pride: You throw away a chocolate cake you made for your family because it doesn't meet your high standards.
6. No excuses pride: You always deliver top quality product and performance on time and you are never late. Nor do you ever disappoint people because you have pride in your honor and integrity.
7. Indignation pride (adapted from Louis C.K.): These are people who see themselves as victims because they operate on the stupid belief that NOTHING BAD IS SUPPOSED TO EVER HAPPEN TO THEM. Their dinner reservation might be late; their airplane departure might be late; their dry cleaning might not be ready. Whatever it is, they always have the same response: "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? YOU WILL BE HEARING FROM MY ATTORNEYS!"
8. Intellectual pride: You believe you are intellectually superior to the human race and because you are superior you do not have to comform to the same moral principles as the rest of the world. In fact, your noncomformity, your moral lapses and moral depravity, prove your superiority.
Intellectual pride is always the mask of the emotionally wounded, the people who have a grudge or a chip on their shoulder. They wear their pride as an excuse so they don't have to grow up and have moral accountability and adult responsibilities like the rest of us.
Intellectual pride is a childish position. It is the position of emotional retardation.
Intellectual pride cuts us off from the rest of the human race.
Intellectual pride cuts off our empathy.
Intellectual pride results in solipsism, extreme self-centeredeness, and as such its final destination is insanity.